Kalimpong Govt. PTTI was established in the year 1950 along with four other Teacher Training Institutes in the state of West Bengal with intake capacity of 40( Forty) Trainees. At the time of it’s establishment, the Education Department, Govt. of West Bengal, named it as Kalimpong Basic Training School vide Memo No1076-Edn dt Calcutta the 10th March 1950. The intake of the Institute was increased in 1962 from 40 to 120. Non-manclature of Kalimpong Basic Training School was changed to Kalimpong Govt. Primary Teachers’ Training Institute since 1990 by the Director of School Education, West Bengal. In all over West Bengal, after the introduction of D.El.Ed. Course (session 2012-14), intake has been fixed to 50. Kalimpong Govt. PTTI is the only Nepali Medium Institute in the state of West Bengal offering D.El.Ed. Course for the students of four Districts viz. Kalimpong, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri and Alipurduar.